Connect with us

Business

Marvel’s ‘Doctor Strange’ tests appeal of movie ‘multiverse’

Published

on

Benedict Cumberbatch attended the Los Angeles premiere of "Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness"
Share this:

After 27 box office-shattering blockbusters, the Marvel superhero films have no more worlds to conquer — so they are headed off to parallel universes instead.

The highly anticipated “Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness,” out Friday, sends Benedict Cumberbatch’s sorcerer hopping between colorful, creepy and downright bizarre new dimensions, with the help of teenager America Chavez (Xochitl Gomez).

It explores the “multiverse” concept popularized by superhero comic books, in which infinite universes — and infinite versions of each hero and villain — exist side-by-side.

“Oh yeah, we crack that door wide open,” said Cumberbatch at this week’s Los Angeles world premiere.

“And I’ll tell you one thing about it. It’s beautiful. It’s very, very beautiful.”

But for a Hollywood franchise that has thrived by making the sometimes arcane world of comic-book lore accessible to the broadest possible audiences, is it all getting a little too complicated? 

“Multiverse of Madness” — the second standalone “Doctor Strange” movie — is packed with references not just to films that preceded it, but also to Disney+ television series “WandaVision” and “Loki.”

A review from The Hollywood Reporter says the parallel universes concept — on top of Marvel films’ previous time-travel forays — “starts to look like a franchise-sustaining crutch.”

Marvel films already contain “a practically infinite number of weird characters and unlikely events” without the “rapidly aging plot device” of parallel universes, wrote reviewer John Defore.

Variety’s Owen Gleiberman said Marvel is already “the kind of place that even the most ardent comic-book fans have to dedicate themselves to keeping up with.”

Gleiberman called the film “a ride, a head trip… a what-is-reality Marvel brainteaser and, at moments, a bit of an ordeal.”

“It’s a somewhat engaging mess, but a mess all the same.”

– ‘Perfect time’ –

Still, recent history has taught Hollywood watchers to never underestimate the allure of the “Marvel Cinematic Universe” (MCU).

The franchise turned conventional wisdom about attention spans of Gen Z teens upside-down with hits like 2019’s “Avengers: Endgame” — the culmination of more than 20 interconnected movies and storylines going back to the original “Iron Man” (2008).

It earned almost $2.8 billion at the global box office, briefly becoming the highest grossing film of all time.

“Marvel are the epitome of success in Hollywood right now,” said Jeff Bock, senior analyst at Exhibitor Relations.

“And that’s why when we talk about $150 million, $200 million openings, nobody blinks an eye anymore.”

Kevin Feige, the president of Marvel Studios, said last week that planning for “the next decade” of the superhero films is well underway.

And the concept of multiple versions of beloved characters has already been successful, including December’s smash hit “Spider-Man: No Way Home.”

“Characters have come out of other universes into our own in the last Spider-Man picture,” said director Sam Raimi at Monday’s premiere.

“But this will be the first time that characters from our MCU journey out into other universes.”

Beyond the Marvel franchise, the recent, critically adored indie sci-fi hit “Everything Everywhere All at Once” also explores the idea of parallel universes.

“I think ‘Doctor Strange’ actually hits at the perfect time because everybody’s still talking about how great this multiverse concept is — it’s not played out,” said Bock.

– ‘Opening a box’ –

So far, “Multiverse of Madness” has a highly respectable — if below the Marvel average — 79 percent on review aggregator website Rotten Tomatoes.

IndieWire called the movie a “a violent, wacky, drag-me-to-several-different-hells at once funhouse of a film.”

“We are opening a box. And there’s going to be a lot of opportunities for storytelling moving forward,” said Elizabeth Olsen, who reprises her role as Wanda Maximoff.

“I’m looking forward to seeing what we do with that.”

Share this:

Business

Kellogg’s loses court challenge against UK obesity strategy

Published

on

By

The UK government is introducing new rules to reduce the prominence of sugary foods in English shops from October
Share this:

Cereals giant Kellogg’s on Monday lost a High Court challenge against new UK rules limiting the prominence of sugary foods in English shops to tackle child obesity.

At a hearing in April, the Frosties and Rice Krispies maker argued against the government’s strategy to calculate fat, salt and sugar content of cereals when eaten dry, not when taken with milk.

But in a ruling on Monday, the court noted that no breakfast cereal manufacturer raised objections to the methodology during the consultation period about the rules.

The judge, Thomas Linden, said there was “no dispute” that breakfast cereals could be part of a healthy diet.

“But the argument that there are nutritional benefits to the consumption of a given breakfast cereal does not affect the point that if it contains excess fat, sugar or salt, that feature of the product is adverse to a child’s health,” he said.

Linden said 54.7 percent of Kellogg’s cereals would be classed as less healthy under the new regulations that take effect from October.

Kellogg’s claimed the change would hit annual profits by about £5 million ($6.1 million).

Welcoming the ruling, the government said it was “committed to tackling obesity, which is the second biggest cause of cancer in the UK” and costs the state-funded National Health Service “billions of pounds a year”.

Kellogg’s said it did not intend to appeal but urged the government to rethink its strategy, especially amid soaring inflation.

“By restricting the placement of items in supermarkets, people face less choice and potentially higher prices,” said the group’s UK managing director, Chris Silcock. 

“That’s why, in the midst of a cost-of-living crisis, we would strongly urge the government to rethink these regulations and put the consumer first.”

Share this:
Continue Reading

Business

UK drivers in go-slow protest over surging fuel prices

Published

on

By

Strike action by criminal lawyers is fuelling fears of a 'summer of discontent' in Britain
Share this:

Protesters snarled up major UK roads on Monday with a slow-moving procession of vehicles to demand government action against rocketing fuel prices.

The action came as senior criminal lawyers staged a second walkout in England and Wales against years of government cuts to their fees, intensifying a “summer of discontent” as strikes sweep Britain.

Rail workers have already staged a series of stoppages to press for better pay as Britain’s headline inflation reaches a 40-year high of just under 10 percent, driven in part by the war in Ukraine.

On the roads, a social media campaign called Fuel Price Stand Against Tax mobilised drivers to drive deliberately slowly on motorways and other arterial routes, demanding the government slash fuel duty.

One of the motorways affected was the M4 including the Prince of Wales Bridge, which links England and Wales.

Welsh police said they had arrested 12 people for driving under 30 miles (48 kilometres) per hour for “a prolonged amount of time”.

Vicky Stamper lost her job as a truck driver last month after the company was forced to cut costs in the face of the surging fuel costs.

“I’m here because I’ve lost my job because of the fuel, and the greedy people at the top taking all of our money,” she told AFP just over the border in England.

Addressing any members of the public inconvenienced by the action, Stamper said “we’re doing this for everyone”. 

“If they want to have a whinge, instead of whinging, join us.”

– ‘No choice’ –

The government insists it has already cut fuel duty once, and is offering other financial support for the public, while blaming Russia for igniting the rapid rise in energy prices.

“People’s day-to-day lives should not be disrupted,” a spokesperson said.

The government also says it is addressing the demands of the criminal barristers by offering a 15-percent rise in fees from the end of September.

But the increase will only apply to new cases, not to tens of thousands piling up in a backlog as British courts wrestle with the fallout of the Covid pandemic.

Outside the Royal Courts of Justice in central London, barristers in black gowns and wigs insisted the government significantly raise its offer as they walked out for a second week and vowed more strikes ahead.

Protesting barrister Emma Heath, 34, said defence lawyers could spend eight hours in preparation for a client receiving legal aid and get paid only £126 ($153) by the government. 

“We fully appreciate the impact it’s having, but until the government wake up and see what’s actually happening to criminal legal aid funding, we’re left with no choice,” she told AFP.

Justice Secretary Dominic Raab — a former lawyer — has called the strike action “regrettable” and said it would “only delay justice for victims”.

Share this:
Continue Reading

Business

Central African Republic dives into crypto with the Sango

Published

on

By

Crypto fan: President Faustin-Archange Touadera
Share this:

Undeterred by the turmoil hitting crypto, the Central African Republic (CAR) — one of the poorest and most troubled countries in the world — has unveiled plans to launch its own digital currency.

President Faustin Archange Touadera, in an “online event” on Sunday, announced CAR would create the Sango Coin and a zero-taxation “crypto-hub”, the first in Africa.

The currency is named after Sango, which with French is one of the two official languages in the landlocked country, rated the world’s second poorest nation under the UN’s Human Development Index.

Through a platform called Crypto Island, the Sango will become “the catalyst for tokenising (CAR’s) vast natural resources,” Touadera declared, providing no timeline or other details.

He hailed Sango and Crypto Island as “a new digital system fed by blockchain,” the internet-based ledger that underpins crypto currencies.

“Sango Coin will give the whole world direct access to our resources,” attracting investors and “getting the engines of the economy going,” he enthused.

On April 27, Touadera’s office abruptly announced that the CAR had adopted Bitcoin as legal tender alongside the CFA franc, a currency the country shares with five other central African economies.

It became the first country in Africa to embrace Bitcoin as a national currency, and the second in the world after El Salvador last September.

The April announcement sparked bemusement among analysts, given the entrenched poverty and lack of infrastructure in the CAR, where only one person in seven has access to mains electricity. 

They also voiced concern about the impact of crypto volatility on savings.

Virtual currencies have gone into a tailspin as investors look to safer havens at a time of inflation and uncertainty sparked by the Ukraine war.

Bitcoin has lost nearly 60 percent of its value over the past six months.

– ‘Digital gold’ –

Touadera on Sunday said 57 percent of Africa’s population does not have access to a bank.

“The solution,” he said, was “the smartphone, the alternative to the traditional bank, cash and financial red tape”.

On Twitter, he said, “gold served as the engine of our civilisation for ages! In this new age, digital gold will serve the same for the future.”

The CAR’s rush to crypto has been seen by some critics in the context of its closer ties with Russia.

Touadera has been accused of using Russian paramilitaries to buttress his regime and offering CAR’s natural resources in exchange. 

The country has a treasure chest of minerals, ranging from copper and gold to diamonds and uranium.

The CAR, a former French colony, plunged into a civil war along sectarian lines in 2013 after the then-president, Francois Bozize, was ousted.

Touadera was first elected in 2016 after an interim period and re-elected in disputed circumstances in 2020.

Violence diminished in 2018 but rebel forces remain active.

Share this:
Continue Reading

Featured