Connect with us

Business

Russia seeking to wrest seized nuclear plant from Ukraine

Published

on

Fighting at the plant in early March sparked fears of a nuclear disaster
Share this:

Russia has hinted it is seeking to cut off Ukraine from Europe’s largest nuclear plant unless Kyiv pays Moscow for electricity.

The Zaporizhzhia plant was captured by Russian troops following President Vladimir Putin’s special military operation in Ukraine launched on February 24.

“If the energy system of Ukraine is ready to receive and pay, then (the plant) will work for Ukraine. If not, then ( the plant) will work for Russia,” Russian Deputy Prime Minister Marat Khusnullin said during a trip to the region on Wednesday, Russian news agencies reported. 

His remarks came after Russian officials indicated that Moscow intends to remain in territories it controls in southern Ukraine, such as the Kherson region and large parts of Zaporizhzhia. 

“We have a lot of experience of working with nuclear power plants, we have companies in Russia that have this experience,” Khusnullin said.

He said there was “no doubt” the Zaporizhzhia plant will remain operational.

Ukraine’s nuclear agency Energoatom said Thursday that the plant continued to supply electricity to Ukraine. 

In 2021, the plant accounted for one fifth of Ukraine’s annual electricity production and almost half the electricity generated in the country’s nuclear power plants.

Russian soldiers in early March took control of the plant in the city of Enerhodar, separated by the Dnipro river from the regional capital Zaporizhzhia which is still under Kyiv’s control. 

Clashes erupted in the plant in the first days of the conflict, raising fears of a possible nuclear disaster in a country where a nuclear reactor exploded at the Chernobyl plant in 1986. 

Khusnullin further hinted that Russia was there to stay.

“I consider that the future of this region is to work within the friendly Russian family. That’s why I came here, to help with integration as much as possible,” he said.

Russian officials and Moscow-appointed authorities said last week that the Ukrainian region of Kherson — which provides a land bride to the annexed Crimean peninsula — will likely become part of Russia. 

While launching the Ukraine campaign, Putin had assured that Russia does not seek to occupy Ukrainian territories. 

Share this:

Business

Lunch with Warren Buffett goes for a whopping $19 mn … tip included?

Published

on

By

A mystery bidder will pay $19 million to have lunch with iconic investor Warren Buffett, chairman and CEO of Berkshire Hathaway, seen speaking at a Washington event on October 13, 2015
Share this:

Talk about an expensive date: a mystery bidder will be spending a record $19 million for the right to have lunch with legendary American investment guru Warren Buffett. 

That whopping bid, announced by eBay, came in the 21st — and last — such charity luncheon with the aging multibillionaire, who is chairman and CEO of Berkshire Hathaway.

Bidding on the eBay website opened last Sunday at a modest $25,000. But it shot up rapidly as rival bidders tried to outdo one another, finally ending Friday at a total of just over $19 million.

The auction — held annually, though canceled by Covid-19 concerns for the past two years — raises funds for Glide, which fights poverty in San Francisco. It distributes food to the homeless and helps them find shelter, medical assistance and training.

San Francisco, a place of income extremes, has struggled for years with a large homeless population. 

This year’s still-anonymous winner of the charity auction “has not only made history, but will spend an unforgettable afternoon with American legend Warren Buffett at a private lunch with up to seven guests at Smith & Wollensky Steakhouse in New York City,” said an announcement posted by eBay.

The last pre-pandemic auction was won by Justin Sun, an American entrepreneur active in cryptocurrencies, who spent $4.6 million for the right to dine with Buffett, an outspoken critic of bitcoin.

The eBay statement quoted the 91-year-old Buffett — revered throughout the investment community as the “Oracle of Omaha” — as saying he had “met a lot of interesting people all over the world” through the auctions.

“The one universal characteristic,” he added, “is that they feel the money is going to be put to very good uses.”

Buffett’s net worth was estimated in March at $117 billion, according to Forbes.com. 

He joined Bill and Malinda Gates in forming a group of the ultra-wealthy who have vowed to give away half their fortunes. Buffett is estimated to have already donated some $48 billion.

Share this:
Continue Reading

Business

Bitcoin plunges below $20,000

Published

on

By

Bitcoin fell below $20,000, its lowest level since December 2020
Share this:

Bitcoin plunged below $20,000 on Saturday, shedding nine percent from the previous day to fall to $18,740, its lowest level since December 13, 2020.

With investors increasingly wary of risk, the world’s most popular crypto asset has lost more than 72 percent of its value since reaching a high of $68,991 on November 10, 2021.

After sinking to $18,740 on Saturday, Bitcoin rose to $18,941 at 1550 GMT, down eight percent from Friday.

Other major digital currencies were also down on Saturday, including ether, which lost nearly 10 percent of its value.

World stock markets plunged this week amid fears that inflation-fighting interest rate hikes by the US Federal Reserve and other central banks could trigger a recession.

Cryptocurrencies have paid the biggest price.

The value of the global crypto market fell below the symbolic $1 trillion mark on Monday after reaching $3 trillion in November of last year.

Bitcoin’s fall has been accelerated by the suspension of withdrawals by two cryptocurrency platforms.

The Celsius Network said it was pausing “all withdrawals, swap, and transfers between accounts” due to “extreme market conditions.”

Babel Finance said it was facing “unusual liquidity pressures.”

Major exchange Binance temporarily suspended bitcoin withdrawals and advised customers to use other networks.

Coinbase said Monday that it was trimming 18 percent of its workforce, about 1,100 jobs, citing tight economic conditions and overly rapid expansion.

“We appear to be entering a recession after a 10+ year economic boom,” Coinbase founder and CEO Brian Armstrong said.

In recent years, the crypto sector benefited from a vast infusion of cash due to easy money policies from the world’s biggest central banks.

However, rampant inflation has sparked tighter monetary policy across the globe, helping to send the industry crashing.

Share this:
Continue Reading

Business

Indigenous protesters in Ecuador defy state of emergency

Published

on

By

A demonstrator runs with a neon tube to throw at the police during Indigenous-led protests against the government in Ecuador
Share this:

Indigenous protesters demanding cheaper fuel in Ecuador defied a state of emergency Saturday, pressing on with road blockages now in their sixth day.

A day after President Guillermo Lasso announced the restrictive measures in a bid to end the sometimes violent demonstrations, police said Indigenous people kept up protests in most of the country’s 24 provinces, including three where the president declared the state of emergency. One includes the capital, Quito.

Oil producer Ecuador has been hit by rising inflation, unemployment and poverty exacerbated by the coronavirus pandemic.

Fuel prices have risen sharply since 2020, almost doubling for diesel from $1 to $1.90 per gallon (3.8 liters) and rising from $1.75 to $2.55 for petrol.

Demonstrators from the country’s Indigenous community — which makes up over a million of Ecuador’s 17.7 million inhabitants — launched an open-ended anti-government protest this week that has since been joined by students, workers and others.

The demonstrations have blocked roads across the country, including highways leading into the capital Quito.

Talks with the president failed to end the demonstrations.

Clashes with security forces during the protests have left at least 83 people injured, and 40 have been arrested.

In response, Lasso’s decree empowers him to mobilize the armed forces to maintain order, suspend civil rights and declare curfews. 

“I am committed to defending our capital and our country,” Lasso said on television. 

“I called for dialogue and the response was more violence. There is no intention to seek solutions.”

The demonstrations have largely been concentrated in the northern region of Pichincha which includes Quito, and neighboring Cotopaxi and Imbabura.

In Quito, nearly 1,000 protesters tried to tear down metal fences that surround the presidential headquarters this week.

In a bid to ease grassroots anger, Lasso announced in his address late Friday a small increase in a monthly subsidy paid to Ecuador’s poorest, as well as a program to ease the debt of those who have loans from state-run banks.

Share this:
Continue Reading

Featured