Rockstar Games said Monday that data from the next installment in its blockbuster “Grand Theft Auto” franchise was stolen, as glimpses of play spread on social media.
The normally tight-lipped video game maker’s comment came after a trove of data that a hacker said was from a “Grand Theft Auto 6” title in the works was shared online, along with word that source code was also swiped from Rockstar.
“We recently suffered a network intrusion in which an unauthorized third party illegally accessed and downloaded confidential information from our systems, including early development footage for the next ‘Grand Theft Auto,'” Rockstar said in a tweet from its official account.
“We are extremely disappointed to have any details of our next game shared with you in this way.”
Rockstar added that it did not expect the hack to disrupt any of its projects or online play of its games, and that work on the next “Grand Theft Auto” game will continue as planned.
More than 230 million copies of “Grand Theft Auto,” referred to as “GTA,” have been sold overall.
“We have already taken steps to isolate and contain this incident,” Rockstar parent Take-Two Interactive said in a Securities and Exchange Commission filing about the hack.
The GTA franchise, in which players take on the role of a criminal, has been criticized for glorifying law-breaking, violence and abuse of women.
The maker of the notorious video game franchise announced in February that a new edition is under development, confirming long-bubbling speculation.
New York-based Rockstar Games did not say when GTA 6 will hit the street or how it will be different from the previous edition of the game released in 2013 to blockbuster sales.
“We watched GTA 6 leak and Rockstar Games – the most secretive company in the video game industry – get hacked in real time,” said a late Sunday tweet from the Gaming Detective account that included an apparent image of the title art.
“Let it be known we were here to witness history.”
UK eyes big TikTok fine over child privacy lapse
Britain on Monday warned it could fine TikTok £27 million ($29 million) over a potential failure to protect children’s privacy on the Chinese-owned video app.
The Information Commissioner’s Office said the social media company “may have processed the data of children under the age of 13 without appropriate parental consent”.
The ICO also found that the short-form video platform may have “failed to provide proper information to its users in a concise, transparent and easily understood way”.
The watchdog has served the group with a notice of intent — which is a legal document that precedes a possible fine — over the possible breach of UK data protection law.
“We all want children to be able to learn and experience the digital world, but with proper data privacy protections,” said Information Commissioner John Edwards.
“Companies providing digital services have a legal duty to put those protections in place, but our provisional view is that TikTok fell short of meeting that requirement.”
In response, TikTok said it disagreed with the ICO’s provisional views and stressed that no final conclusions had been reached.
“While we respect the ICO’s role in safeguarding privacy in the UK, we disagree with the preliminary views expressed and intend to formally respond to the ICO in due course,” TikTok said in a statement.
Apple to make iPhone 14 in India in shift away from China
Apple will manufacture its new flagship smartphone in India, the US tech giant said Monday, as it seeks to diversify production away from a dependence on China.
The iPhone supply chain is based mainly in China but the country’s zero-Covid policies and tensions with the United States have hurt production, analysts say.
“We’re excited to be manufacturing iPhone 14 in India,” Apple said in a brief statement.
The California-based firm already makes older iPhone models in India via Taiwanese manufacturers such as Foxconn, which has a factory in the southern state of Tamil Nadu.
The latest announcement comes just weeks after Apple launched new smartphones. The tech behemoth is commencing production of the iPhone 14 in India much earlier than it did for previous models, Canalys analyst Sanyam Chaurasia said.
“Over the last couple of years, it has been increasingly diversifying its supply chain to India,” Chaurasia told AFP.
About 7.5 million iPhones — around three percent of Apple’s global production — were made in India last year, the analyst added.
“We expect that the local production of iPhones could reach more than 11 million this year,” he said.
Apple’s announcement will be a boost to Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s “Make in India” strategy under which he has urged foreign businesses to manufacture goods in the South Asian nation.
US charges Boeing with misleading investors on 737 MAX safety, fined $200 mn
US securities officials fined Boeing $200 million over the aviation giant’s misleading assurances about the safety of the 737 MAX airplane following two deadly crashes, regulators announced Thursday.
Boeing agreed to the penalty to settle charges it “negligently violated the antifraud provisions” of US securities laws, the Securities and Exchange Commission said in a statement, saying the company and its leader “put profits over people.”
Boeing’s former chief executive, Dennis Muilenburg, also agreed to pay $1 million to settle the same charges in the civil case.
The settlement marks the latest hit to Boeing over the MAX following the Lion Air Crash in Indonesia in October 2018 and the Ethiopian Airlines crash in Ethiopia in March 2019, which together claimed nearly 350 lives.
One month after the first crash, a Boeing press release approved by Muilenburg “selectively highlighted certain facts,” implying pilot error and poor aircraft maintenance contributed to the crash.
The press release also attested to the aircraft’s safety, not disclosing that Boeing knew a key flight handling system, the Maneuvering Characteristics Augmentation System (MCAS), posed safety issues and was being redesigned.
After the second crash, Boeing and Muilenburg assured the public that there was “no surprise or gap” in the federal certification of the MAX despite being aware of contrary information, the SEC said.
– Boeing ‘failed’ –
“In times of crisis and tragedy, it is especially important that public companies and executives provide full, fair, and truthful disclosures to the markets,” said SEC Chair Gary Gensler in a press release.
“The Boeing Company and its former CEO, Dennis Muilenburg, failed in this most basic obligation. They misled investors by providing assurances about the safety of the 737 MAX, despite knowing about serious safety concerns.”
The SEC said both Boeing and Muilenburg, in agreeing to pay the penalties, did not admit or deny the agency’s findings.
Boeing said the agreement “fully resolves” the SEC’s inquiry and is part of the company’s “broader effort to responsibly resolve outstanding legal matters related to the 737 MAX accidents in a manner that serves the best interests of our shareholders, employees, and other stakeholders,” a company spokesman said.
“We will never forget those lost on Lion Air Flight 610 and Ethiopian Airlines Flight 302, and we have made broad and deep changes across our company in response to those accidents.”
US air safety authorities cleared Boeing’s 737 MAX to resume service in November 2020 following a 20-month grounding after the crashes.
A principal cause of the two crashes was identified as the MCAS, which was supposed to keep the plane from stalling as it ascended but instead forced the nose of the plane downward. The Federal Aviation Administration required Boeing to upgrade this system to address the flaw.
In January 2021, Boeing agreed to pay $2.5 billion to settle a US criminal charge over claims the company defrauded regulators overseeing the 737 MAX.
Business4 months ago
Shanghai eases Covid curbs in step towards ending lockdown
Business4 months ago
Shanghai euphoria tempered by deep wound to China’s economy
Business4 weeks ago
From research foundation to the award-winning WeaveSphere tech conference
Business4 months ago
Shanghai lockdown sees quarter of US firms cut investment plans: poll
Business1 month ago
IBM and Evoke announce 2022 WeaveSphere tech conference